Mary E. Farrell
Mary E. Farrell, founder of the Farrell Law Group, is a litigator with substantial experience and expertise in representing employers of all sizes. Mary and her team have successfully defended several wage & hour class action lawsuits as well as individual claims. She works closely with clients to develop credible litigation avoidance strategies in high-risk employment disputes as well as every day personnel challenges. Mary has experience handling individual harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims, contract & tort-based employment litigation, whistleblower actions, unfair competition & trade secret litigation as well as class action wage & hour claims.
Mary is a frequent speaker on employment law trends and emerging issues and has been recognized as a Northern California 2014 Super Lawyer. Mary was also recognized as a Super Lawyer in 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010. This recognition is a designation by Super Lawyers Magazine and is the result of peer nomination and evaluation. Each year thousands of lawyers throughout California submit nominations, which are then reviewed and evaluated by a research team established by Super Lawyers Magazine. According to the Journal of Law and Politics, recipients of the Super Lawyer honor represent the top 5% of lawyers in each practice area.
Mary was recently the Keynote Speaker for California’s DWC’s Educational Conference and she has served on the Executive Committee of the Labor & Employment Section of the Sacramento County Bar Assn. Prior to forming the Farrell Law Group in 2009, Mary was a partner at Murphy Austin Adams Schoenfeld LLP in Sacramento and was Chair of the firm’s Labor & Employment Law Practice Group.
Mary received her law degree with Great Distinction from the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento in 1994 where she graduated Order of the Coif and was a member of the Traynor Honor Society. She was awarded a bachelor’s degree from California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, 1990.
Mary resides in Sacramento with her husband, Craig, and step-daughter, Athena, and together they enjoy camping, golfing, cycling, wine tasting and triathlons.
Areas of Practice
- Labor and Employment Law
- Represented employers in defense of claims of employment discrimination (age, race, gender, ethnic origin, and retaliation); breach of employment contract; wrongful termination in violation of public policy; and constructive termination in state and federal courts as well as before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Represented the California Legislature in employment discrimination suits filed by former employees.
- Represented a large residential real estate broker in a sexual harassment and retaliation suit filed against real estate agent and broker.
- Represented employers in state court in defense of defamation and interference with contractual relations claims by former employees.
- Defended employers in numerous wage claims before the California Office of Labor Commissioner.
- Represented employer against claims of employee raiding and trade secret misappropriation by regional competitor through discovery to settlement.
- Represented employers/business establishments in federal court in defense of class action and other lawsuits under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Extensive law and motion experience, including numerous successful summary judgment motions in state and federal courts; numerous judicial arbitrations; negotiations of settlement agreements and releases.
- Prepared Respondent’s briefs in appeal before the Third District Court of Appeals.
- Prepared, reviewed, and revised employee handbooks and policy manuals; drafted employment agreements and negotiated severance packages for corporate executives; negotiated and drafted severance agreements on behalf of employers; drafted alcohol and drug testing policies, workplace search policies, and pre-employment inquiry policies and procedures.
- Conducted due diligence regarding all employment-related matters in corporate mergers, acquisitions, and public offerings and advised clients regarding disclosures arising from employment claims and potential claims.
- Counseled employers regarding employee discipline and employment termination, workplace searches and investigations, alcohol and drug testing, employee policies, employment discrimination and harassment, and supervisor training.
- Advised employers regarding union organizing activities.
- Advised employers and prepared relevant documents with regard to mass lay-off and reduction-in-force.
- Trained managers and supervisors on compliance with Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)/California Family Rights Act (CFRA); California’s Fair Employment & Housing Act/Title VII; Americans With Disabilities Act; and other compliance issues.
- Reviewed and updated independent contractor agreements.
- Advised employers regarding implementation of workplace safety and security policies and procedures.
- Drafted agreements regarding protection of employer’s confidential proprietary information and intellectual property.
- Advised departing employees on confidential information obligations to employers.
- Advised employers regarding misappropriation of trade secret information and unfair competition by former employees and business competitors.
Memberships and Community Involvement
- State Bar of California
- Former Executive Committee Member, Labor & Employment Section, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Sacramento Area Commerce and Trade Association (SACTO)
- Sacramento Human Resources Management Association
- Anthony M. Kennedy Inns of Court
- Natomas Schools Foundation Board of Directors
- Natomas Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific J.D., with Great Distinction, 1994
- Order of the Coif
- Traynor Honor Society
California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, B.A. 1990